Shelyn School is one of 16 California Distinguished Schools in the Rowland Unified School District. Shelyn’s motto of working ‘In Partnership with Parents, Building Roads to Dreams...’ is the foundation committing a focus to educate and inspire self-confident, responsible, and caring students. As a member of RUSD, Shelyn is committed to the the District’s core values: integrity, respect, safety, student-centered focus, excellence, and responsibility with accountability. Student welfare and success are the basis for all decisions (curriculum, safety, planning for excellence).
Shelyn is proud of its accomplishments during the 2009-10 school year:
- Twenty six 6th graders are enrolled in the high school Algebra course, and will take Geometry in 7th grade.
- The highest rates of attendance in RUSD.
- Computers, printers, TVs and VCR/DVD are available in every classroom.
- An upgraded computer lab and all classrooms are networked with Internet access.
- Students learn about history through reenactments.
- Outdoor Science School - 6th grade students spend one week in the mountains learning about the balance of various ecosystems, geology, botany, biology, and astronomy.
- Comprehensive Music Program with formal instruction weekly (for 1/2 the year).
- Instrumental music instruction (school band, jazz band and strings).
- Community of Caring values reinforced school-wide.
- Volunteers donated thousands of hours to assisting classroom teachers and office personnel.
- All teachers are fully credentialed and have their CLAD certificate.
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
students receive differentiated instruction and additional
educational opportunities throughout the year.
Special Features and Programs
A number of after-school activities were available for students:
- Algebra offered on-site to sixth grade students
- Tutoring classes (school sponsored and private academy classes on campus).
- Winning entries in a number of competitions
- Math Clubs (4th - 6th)
- "King & I" musical performance by 4th-6th students.
- Jazz Band
- Active Recycling Club who collect family recycling and plan environmental activities
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) classes